Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Getting the Wedding on the Wall

T and I have been married a little over two and a half years, and I just finally got our wedding portrait.  It was one of those things that felt like a luxury, that we didn't really NEED, and so I just hadn't gotten around to ordering it.  I finally did order it a few weeks ago, and I managed to find 10 minutes to put it on the wall this weekend.

As a surprise for our first anniversary, my mother also had all of our wedding vows printed on the same paper that we used for our invitations.  That took up several pages, but the last page had our names and wedding date and an Apache wedding blessing that was part of our ceremony, so I framed that page to put under the portrait.

AN APACHE WEDDING BLESSING
 
Now you will feel no rain,
for each of you will be shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
for each of you will be warmth for the other.
Now you are two persons,
but there is only one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place,
to enter into the days of your life together,
and may your days be good and long upon the earth.
 
The portrait I picked was in black and white, and the printer had a metallic paper that really adds a nice dimension to the photo.  It also fits with the blessing, since our wedding colors were silver and white.

So here's how it looks on the wall, next to our pictures of family and friends:


The photo is from our first dance. Somehow, I think the pose complements the meaning of the poem.

Maybe in another couple of years I will finally get around to getting my wedding dress cleaned and preserved!

No comments:

Post a Comment