Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bountiful Baskets surprise

We have been participating in a vegetable buyer's cooperative called Bountiful Baskets for the last few months.  You spend $15 for a large basket of fresh fruits and veggies, which unfortunately need to be picked up early on Saturday morning.  But there's a wide variety of goodies, including some things you wouldn't ordinarily buy for yourself.  So far, it's been a good investment.  In addition to the regular basket of veggies, you can also order loaves of bread, homemade granola, occasional themed veggie baskets (like Mexican or Italian), and there is usually a large quantity of a different fruit offered each week, I assume for canners.

Bowl 1
Bowl 2










This week, they were offering a sample box of plums, a total of 12 pounds or so.  That seemed like a lot of plums, but not so many that you had to get rid of them by canning them.  So we got it.  It turns out, there were a lot of them -- enough to fill my 2 biggest bowls! -- and it has been fun trying all the different varieties.  I think they yellow ones are my favorite so far -- they are especially crisp, almost like an unripe plum in texture, but they are quite sweet.  We also had a few purple apricots in the box, but they were packed on the bottom, so they were very bruised.

In our regular basket this week, we had butter lettuce, broccoli, yellow summer squash, carrots, raspberries, strawberries, more plums, table grapes, and four ears of corn.  I decided to make grilled corn on the cob with dinner last night, but I got quite a surprise when I shucked the ears.
They were red!  I have no idea what variety this is.  As it turns out, it didn't have a whole lot of flavor.  But the color would have definitely been eye-catching in some kind of corn salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment