Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garden Update

Well, it's been a month since we started our garden, and things are going pretty well.  We used grass clippings as mulch, as suggested by our local gardening extension.  It was slow at first, but I've seen some real signs of growth recently.

We have the first baby tomatoes making an appearance on one of our cherry tomato plants!

And the cabbages and broccoli are looking surprisingly good so far.  The zucchini is starting to really take off -- it's by far the happiest plant in the garden.
red cabbage
zucchini

Some of the plants seemed to be getting a little brown around the edges -- mostly the cukes and the hubbard squash, although it happened to some of the tomatoes as well.  I was afraid they were getting too much sun, but there's not much I can do about that.  I now know we picked some cool-weather veggies that just might not do well in our hot summers, with just a little morning shade from our fence.  And now some of those leaves look like there were getting nibbled on.  But the newer leaves seem to be in good shape, so I'm not too worried yet.
holey cucumber
squash

tomato leaves -- old and new


The biggest thing that confuses me is that there seem to be some major disparities in the sizes of plants of the same variety.  There were some differences when we planted them, I guess, but it just seems much more pronounced now.
broccoli plants
cherry tomatoes
I went ahead and fed them today, so I'm hoping to see a growth spurt soon.  I also adjusted the watering on the tomatoes, because I don;t think they were getting enough.  If anyone with more gardening experience wants to pass along some tips or let me know if we seem to be doing something wrong, please let me know!  *smile*

1 comment:

  1. Your garden looks good! Tomatoes cannot get too much sun so don't worry about that. If you cover them with plastic, make sure to open it during the day for ventilation. Water is key, these plants are thirsty. After your water put a stick into the soil to see how deep and wet it gets. Remember you are watering the roots and the water needs to get down there. I don't know about you but we have had freezing nights which have nipped at my plants so that could explain some of the funny leaves, or it isn't enough water. Some plants are different sizes, that's just nature playing with you. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete