Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Garden!

We put in a garden this weekend!  Our house came with a pair of lovely raised planting beds, but they didn't have much soil in them.  I wanted to start by planting just one of them.  This weekend, we pulled all the weeds that have been growing wild in there, went and got a truckload of compost, filled in the half-full bed, got a bunch of plants and soaker hose, used some pavers we got last year for a different project and didn't use, and put a garden together.  And then we put a little fence around it to keep the dogs out.  The best part was watching T, who has worked in construction for most of his life, measuring out the locations of the pavers to make sure they were perfectly evenly spaced, and then pulling out a little level to make sure they were flat, too.  We put a row of tomatoes across the back, which includes 4 different varieties, including an heirloom named Mr. Stripey.  We also put in 4 broccoli plants, 3 red cabbages, 2 cucumber vines, a zucchini, a Hubbard squash, and a honedew melon.  Considering this is our first garden, I hope everything grows well!

While we were getting all the veggies, we also got some flowers to put in our front planting bed.  Last weekend we replaced the horrible, thorny reddish bushes that came with the house, and put in 2 boxwoods in front, and a flowering bush on the side.  Now we also have some color out there, with a row of flowers in front of the bushes, and we picked up a three-pack of daylilies at Costco today to put along the side.  I know daylilies do well around here, and they're a nice, tall punch of color.

The veggies and the tools

Diezel insisted on helping all day
The plants in the ground, with soaker hose

Fencing to keep Cara out

Our front planter

Daylilies on the side

Pansies

Daylilies

Asters




2 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    I'm one of the Ex-Voxer crowd, just in case you were wondering "who is this jak and how did he get here?" Yep, your old WP blog is still on the Vox Diaspora blogroll.

    May I say, first, that although some of us have regarded Blogger/Blogspot as having a very unappealing aesthetic, your space is looking pretty good. So kudos. Oh, and funny thing about Blogger... that's what my youngest sis did, and she's a Utah mom too.

    My little fam and I have been doing a garden, too. We did some things from seed and we had a limited budget, so things don't look (IMHO) as impressive. We also had to get started earlier as the Pacific Northwest and Eastern Washington in particular has had a warm spring this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jak -- I recognized the name, and I'm glad you followed me over here! Do you have a post about your new garden? I'd love to check it out!

      Delete