Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Strawberry Reservoir

Last weekend, T and I took a drive with the dogs to a spot called Strawberry Reservoir, southeast of Heber, UT.  It's actually on the other side of the mountains we looked across the lake at during our wedding -- not a bad spot to be scouting out a campsite for our anniversary in June.
On the way up, the dogs were in their traditional positions in the car.

Cara on the console, eyebrows and ear-hair blowing
in the wind from the A/C
Diezel hogging the back seat
The views on the way there were gorgeous -- I think the scenery is definitely the best part of Utah.

We had to stop a few times to let the dogs sniff around and pee, which ended up both times in pulling goatshead burrs out of tender paws.  But we finally got to the spot T had found once before, while following bad GPS coordinates to a jobsite.  It was up above the lake, in a very pretty spot.

There were lots of aspens in the area, which are a favorite for arborglyphs (yes, that's the fancy archaeological name for stuff people have carved into a tree).  The oldest one I found wasn't even near the historical period, but I still enjoyed poking around and seeing who had left their marks.
Not that old, but from a long way away
Just a little older than me
Sweethearts
I don't even know if this is English, but I love the dinosaur!
The dogs ran around and played in/ate from leftover snowbanks sprinkled here and there in the woods, and we managed to keep Cara from rolling in the deer bits left at the campsite by hunters.  It was too early for spring leaves at that altitude, but as we drove back down and out, the willows were bright yellow and orange -- they were the only thing that was really colorful in the landscape.

And on the way home, the dogs took their traditional post-romp positions -- with Cara in the back seat using Diezel as her pillow.
Blurry, but cute

No comments:

Post a Comment