Who's writing...

My photo
North Salt Lake, Utah, United States
I'm a woman with degrees in creative writing and cultural anthropology, experience in retail sales, merchant processing, teaching English as a foreign language, and archaeology, who teaches writing and computer classes at a local college, and works for a herpetology society. I also like to read, cook, knit, watch movies, make baskets, take photographs, craft, travel, and blog. I currently live in Utah with my husband, T, and our two dogs. Oh, and I'm a Cancer, which explains the crab thing.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Knitting for Kiddos

It seems as though almost everyone I know is pregnant or just had a baby.  This means I have been knitting some baby gifts.  I love baby gifts, because they allow me to knit something small that goes quickly, and they usually allow me to try something new.

I found a pattern a few years back for a baby buddy inchworm pillow that looked adorable.  I figured it was knit in the round, based on the picture, and that it would be a quick project.  The pattern even says you can make it in a day.

Well, it was a LONG day.

This was one of the more challenging projects I've taken on in quite a while.  It turns out, you knit the top from the middle out, with a lot of shaping to get the curve right, and then you knit the bottom, reversing the shaping so it matches.  I never use the right gauge, and while I adjusted the length correctly, I didn't adjust the width, so mine looks a lot more like a classic neck pillow than the original.  Then the pattern says to sew the two halves together using mattress stitch.  I had to find a demo on YouTube, which was extremely helpful, and it looked like a pretty straightforward stitch.  Until I realized that it is designed to match up two pieces of knitting side-by side, and going around the perimeter of the pillow I was mostly joining at a diagonal, or end-to-end.  I did my best, but it took FOREVER to do all the sewing correctly.  Once that was done and he was stuffed, I still had to knit a two-yard-long I-cord and sew IT in place -- once the cord was done, at least the sewing went quickly.  And then I embroidered on the face and added the antennae.  Fortunately, when he was done, he was cute enough for all of the hassle to be worth it!
See how many angles I had to deal with?

But such a cute face when he's done!
I have another friend who has two daughters, E who is three, and A who is almost a year old.  I missed the little one's birth, and I decided to send presents to both of them, so I made each of them a hat and a toy.

The first hat was for E, and it was made with a terrycloth yarn that was extremely difficult to work with, only because I couldn't see any of my stitches.  I have made enough hats that I usually whip one out without a pattern, but I couldn't see my gauge, couldn't see my decreases -- couldn't see anything!  I still think it came out pretty cute, with a pointed tip.

Then I made another pattern I found a while back, Spud and Chloe's Ribbit.  This pattern didn't have a specified gauge, and I must have chosen yarn that was thinner than recommended, because mine came out smaller than theirs.  You are supposed to be able to insert a tennis ball into the body so that he can bounce, but I don't think mine was big enough to fit one.  So I just filled him with stuffing, which is another option.  I also did the hands and feet differently than the pattern suggests.  They have you make a large pocket at the end of the arms, then knit individual bobbles for the fingers and toes.  I decided to stuff the pocket, and then, since I had 12 stitches to work with, I did three 4-stitch I-cords for the fingers and toes.  I like the look of them, even though they don't really mimic webbed feet.  I also took some of the remaining terrycloth yarn and made him a hat to match the one I'd knit for E.
Ribbit in his hat

And next to the hat he matches
For A, I decided to use some super soft and silky yarn that I've had on hand for quite a while.  As usual, I just got started on the hat with ribbing, and kept going.  Halfway up, I decided to do a version of the two pompom hat that is so adorable, but I put tassels on the tips instead of pompoms.  I think it came out quite well.  I just hope it fits!  That's part of why I stuck with the ribbing all the way to the top, actually -- so the hat would be a bit expandable, if necessary.

A's tassel hat
Rather than making another character with a matching hat, I decided to use one of the patterns from a new book I just got from my wonderful boss at the herp society.  It's called Toys to Knit by Tracy Chapman, and the patterns are really unbelievably adorable.  The finger puppets looked like a good idea, so I made those for A.  The patterns are for a mouse and an octopus, but I think I might try to make some other critters in the future.  It would be a great way to use up all the little odds and ends of scrap yarn I have in my stash.  The patterns call for fingering yarn, but I did just fine using worsted weight.  Strangely, these weren't knit in the round either, so I got to use my mattress stitch again to do the seams, which worked very well in the right context.  For the octopus's arms, because I was using a heavier cotton yarn, I went with 4 stitches wide instead of 5, which I think was a good choice, since the arms just barely fit.  But I think the mouse's huge, curly ears are adorable.
Smiley octopus

Mr. Mousie

Finger puppets in action!
I hope that both moms and kids like their little gifts!

What are sme of your favorite baby gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment